2012. február 20.

HOW TO APOLOGIZE IN ENGLISH ?



- Excuse me!
- Pardon me!
- I beg your pardon!
- Sorry!

These are polite expressions that we use when we do something that could be slightly embarrassing or rude. Let’s see some examples!

- You usually use SORRY to apologize after you have done something wrong.

- Use excuse me when you want to interrupt someone, say something to a person you do not know, or get past someone

“Excuse me, do you know the time?”
“Excuse me, can I just reach across and get my bag?”

- Use EXCUSE ME when you have to leave someone for a short time.

“Excuse me for a moment while I make a call.”

- “Excuse me!”can also be used, especially in American English, when you have not heard or understood what someone has said.

“You're late.” “Excuse me?” “I said you're late.” “Oh, sorry.”

- Speakers of British English usually use pardon.

“My name is Timothy.” “Pardon?”

In British English, you usually say “Pardon me!” when you have done something slightly impolite such as burping or sneezing.

"I beg your pardon!” is a rather old-fashioned expression used to apologize for doing something embarrassing or for making a mistake in what you have said

“There are 65 - I beg your pardon - 56 students on the course.”

- Do not confuse the verb excusewith the noun excuse, which means a reason for doing something wrong, often an invented or false reason.

Brenda Lee: I'm sorry.

“I’m Sorry” is a 1960 hit song for then-15-year-old American country pop singer Brenda Lee. It peaked at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in July 1960.



I'm sorry, so sorry
That I was such a fool
I didn't know
Love could be so cruel
Oh, oh, oh, oh
Uh-oh
Oh, yes

You tell me mistakes
Are part of being young
But that don't right
The wrong that's been done

[Spoken:]
(I'm sorry) I'm sorry
(So sorry) So sorry
Please accept my apology
But love is blind
And I was to blind to see
Oh, oh, oh, oh
Uh-oh
Oh, yes

You tell me mistakes
Are part of being young
But that don't right
The wrong that's been done
Oh, oh, oh, oh
Uh-oh
Oh, yes

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése